Wednesday 14 April 2010

happy feelings make you fly

Bookstart http://www.bookstart.org.uk/Home is the most amazing initiative. Free books for pre-school children at key stages seems to me to be an impossibly generous and imaginative scheme.

Given my profession, little a is if anything over-exposed to books. She's devouring stories and learning letters at an alarming rate. We've even considered Steiner education just to hold her literacy back (they don't formally teach children to read until age six or seven. I like this - let their imaginations run riot while they can, I say). I wish there was an equivalent scheme for sporty things.*

I'm especially grateful to Bookstart because one of those nice free books in our most recent treasure chest box was Some Dogs Do. Ooh it's lovely.

Do dogs fly? Well ... some dogs don't and some dogs do!



*I'm being unfair. There is of course the swim4life scheme, which gives little a the chance to go swimming for free at our local, freezing, mouldy and stained pool. Rather like handing out mildewed second-hand-books in terms of inspiring us to take part, I fear.
And on the subject of Steiner - of course I'm being flippant. If I was rich enough not to work but still have the money, she'd be there with all the tiger lilies and elvises, playing with wooden toys and learning to weave.

No comments:

Post a Comment