Sunday 4 April 2010

the pobble who has no toes

little a is tonight fast asleep in my childhood room.

A short post, because I want to be sleeping too ... but her choice tonight was The Pobble who Had No Toes. It's not one I remember, certainly not in the way that many of my books feel like old friends. But Edward Lear is definitely a part of me - Moses supposes his toeses is roses is one of the few poems I know by heart.

This particular edition is illustrated with weird, slightly disturbing pictures. I'll check the artist's name in the morning. Something about books from the early seventies that often seem to have rather too adult illustration styles to them. But little a doesn't seem to mind.

And I do like the idea of eggs and buttercups fried with fish ...

Morning update:
The illustrator is Kevin W Maddison. The edition is out of print now: a brief search on Amazon shows I could sell my edition for $86.54 (not that I'd want to), or I can buy a classics edition of Edward Lear. I'll have a look out for a nice illustrated edition, so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment