Sunday 11 April 2010

potato lids

Oh what a lovely treat a Milly Molly Mandy story is. Like the Cranford or Larkrise (the first series) of children's books.

A charity shop find, our edition is a boxed set of the four books that were rolled in to one omnibus in the ex-library book my sister and I adored as children. I was so excited when I found it (thank you, Cats Protection League ...) but thought little a, at four, would probably be too young for longer stories with no pictures. I underestimated her though. Or perhaps I underestimated the charming simplicity of the tales.

Tonight, we read Milly Molly Mandy Enjoys a Visit, in which Little-Friend-Susan comes to stay, they share a yellow candy stick, wave to Billy Blunt from the pony trap, and eat potato lids by the fire. Oooh it's like being wrapped up in a cosy blanket and given a big hug. All's well in the world.

I'm sure it's all very girly, but I'm not ashamed. Little a is captivated, and the pictures, few and far between as they are, act as good stopping points if required: and she gives a little squeak of excitement when we turn the page and there's a little black and white line drawing to pore over.

I have to confess to indulging in a (I'm sure terrible) West Country accent for Muvver and co. Though the critics were out tonight:

'Is Mrs Moggs Little-friend-Susan's daddy? [no, she's a Mrs, so she's a lady. She's LFS's mummy] but she's got a boy voice [a boy voice? oh no, did I do it wrong?] yes you did a boy voice'

Glad to know my attempts at character differentiation aren't going un-noticed ...




And if you'd like some background reading, this inspires me to recommend anything by Jane Brockett. They're my own grown up version of Milly Molly Mandy. She has a gorgeous blog at http://www.yarnstorm.blogs.com/ and her book, Cherry Cakes and Ginger Beer, includes the potato lids recipes. My favourite though, and insomnia cure, is The Gentle Art of Domesticity. I read it and dream of having the time to make beautiful things.

1 comment: